May 11, 2008

10K on the 10th

Plan A was to meet with Karen yesterday and do our virtual club run. But that was before the stomach flu got a hold of Karen. My hamstrings were sore from boot camp this week, so I made Saturday a rest day and went on to Plan B - run the 10K race today. Hopefully the race director, Nancy, won't mind. She's cool like that.

So I got up at 4 AM, ate two pieces of peanut butter toast, and was out on the road by 5:45 AM. I knew right away that this would be a difficult race for me. My hamstrings were still tight, and at times my legs felt SO HEAVY. The evil sun was already out. But I was determined to finish.

I chose a flat course this time, and after a couple of miles, I found my groove. I stopped to stretch a couple of times, and before I knew it, I was at the 5 mile mark.

Now, I've never hit "the wall" so I don't really know what that's like, but I think I hit it today. Once I hit that 5 mile mark, all of a sudden I felt like I just didn't have any more energy to finish. I'm not sure if it was my sore hamstrings, or if I just ran out of gas. I started telling myself "You are going to finish!" I walked a little more, and kept going.


Running is always a mental game for me, but even more so today. The mind prevailed over the body again, and I finished at 1:19, which is a NEW PR for me!

Special thank you to Nancy - our awesome motivator and race director.

Hope everyone has a great week, and happy mother's day to all the moms out there!

23 comments:

Nancy said...

YEAH!! New PR to boot.

Great job. Glad you were able to get through the mental stuff.

Nancy
XOXO

Viv said...

Congrats on the PR & pushing through!! WTG!

Nat said...

Woohoo! Well done! Gotta love when you get a new PR. :)

(Good on you for sticking with it.)

Bob A said...

Congrats on the PR. Glad you were able to push through that wall. It just jumps out and knocks you down sometimes.

Calyx Meredith said...

Fabulous effort. You know it's one thing to earn a PR on a day when everything feels smooth and perfect - it's another thing entirely to push through the wall to get a one! Well done indeed!

Marcy said...

Ooooooo PR!! Alright chica!! You did AWESOME ;D :D

Southbaygirl said...

AWESOME!!!!! It is so hard when you hit that wall-it does become mental and you did it!!! This race was a good thing for you-you've now hit the wall and prevailed so when and if it happens again all will be great because you'll know that you can do it!!! It's looking good for The nike Women's Half!!!

Unknown said...

That's so great!! Congratulations:)

Bev said...

Great job RK! I can't believe you got up so early.

Zandria said...

I know what you mean about the feeling of "heavy legs," so that's even more awesome that you had such a good running time. Congrats! :)

Amy - the gazelle said...

that was really early. holy crap.

also - congrats on the PR! that's always good!

Suzanne said...

Good job. Especially hard since you were running on your own.

Jenny said...

Yay for a new PR! Good job! And that's dedication to be running at that hour of the morning. I'm impressed :) You're going to do great in SF :)

Lily on the Road said...

GOOD JOB!!!

I think running is a mental sport for most of us....oh, that didn't come out right, hahaha

Woot, you did it...

carla said...

congrats.

so impressive as Im still working to CONQUER the mental game with regards to running.

MizFit

RunningNan said...

Good for you! I actually ran further which made me happy! I had never done over 5 miles before Friday.

Maryland Girl aka Michelle said...

Way to go!

Randi said...

Hey, you know what, to have a PR and have hit a wall, that's fricken amazing. Good for you. Plus, you learn and grow so much more when it's hard than if it's easy.

Mary Gee said...

Yay! for the Running Knitter!!!

Pokey said...

GREAT JOB Eileen!!! I'm glad I wasnt there to be the boulder around your neck......congrats on your PR!!!!

I think that hitting a wall around the 5 mile mark is totally reasonable, given your training. I can ALWAYS tell where my training stops. Since 5 miles is a comfortable distance for you now, it only makes sense that the 6.2 would challenge you a bit.

The plan now is to extend that so you get just as comfy with the 10k distance too! You are well on your way to your HM this fall!!! AWESOME run!!!

Becky Aud-Jennison said...

Yay on your 10k. Way to stick it out!!!

Nitmos said...

Hey, great job on the PR. That's nothing to shake a club at.

Carly said...

Wooo Hoooo!!! Nice job on the PR! WTG pushing through the wall. there is nothing worse than the wall, but there is also nothing better than the runner's high you get from pushing through it.