Aug 10, 2008

8 on the 8th

8-olympic-logo-712853

Well, really it was 6 on the 9th and 2 on the 10th, but Nancy is cool like that and still let me run the race.  ;)

This week is a recovery week in my training, so the schedule called for 6 miles as the long run.  This worked out perfectly because I wanted to run a 5K race today.

So I did 6 miles yesterday, and added 2 miles from today's 5K, for my 8 on the 8th Olympic Race.  We're in the middle of monsoon season here, so on top of the heat, I had to deal with the humidity.  But, I GOT IT DONE!

I chose a flat course for the 6 miles, knowing that the 5K today was a much tougher course with hills.  Boy were there some hills.  The 5K was an out and back with the first half all uphill.  Since I volunteered to pass out timing chips, I was one of the last to start and at the back of the pack.  Just as I was getting to the first mile marker, the "elite" were already passing me in the other direction on their way to the finish.  "Just keep moving" I told myself. I knew I wasn't going to set a new PR, so I tried to just go at my own pace, and enjoy the run.

8 miles
1:51:09

Big thank you to Nancy for organizing another great race!

33 comments:

RBR said...

I love the virtual runs and the subsequent race reports! Nice job getting the 8 done! You had the triple 'H' threat in the heat, humidity and hills!

Just one of those can make a run 10X harder, but you handled all three together! You are a beast!!

J~Mom said...

Thanks for volunteering today!

Forward motion is all you can do in that kind of weather on that hill. You did awesome!!

audgepodge said...

Good for you for completing your run in such challenging conditions!

MCM Mama said...

Nicely done! Someone had to hand out the chips. ;o)

Jess said...

Nice job on the 8! And good job finishing what sounds like a grueling 5K!

Laura said...

Congrats on the nice long run!!

Sonia said...

Great job!! I love the virtual races! And Nancy is such a great RD!! =)

Marcy said...

Awesome job chica!!

brendaj said...

Nice job! My first 5k this year I saw the elite runners coming back soon after I had started..and I recognized a lot of them. Some days it's just great to be out there doing your thing!

Unknown said...

Great work! Love the attitude of enjoying your run and getting it all done.

Viv said...

Way to go on volunteering and getting in the long run and a 5K! Great job!! That is awesome on just enjoying the run and knowing what to do. It take a disiplined one not to chase after the crowd on a recovery week.

Felice Devine said...

Nice work on the 8 (really 9!). That's great.

It's probably for the best that you started at the back for the race, since you had the long run a day earlier. No need to get hurt!

Kai said...

Monsoon season??? Where do you live?

Also, it's so depressing when you're not even at the halfway mark in a race and the elites are already on their way back. Why can't everyone be slower than us??? =D (Congrats!)

Unknown said...

Nice job on the run and YOU ROCK for being a volunteer.

teacherwoman said...

Nice job on your 8miles! :) wahoo!

Marci said...

Well done!!

AnnaBanana said...

You just edged me out -- I did my 8in 1:56. Rock on!

Lily on the Road said...

Wow, you are one busy lady! Nothing worse than the three H's...yikes!

I hear you about the elites, I wasn't quite at 10K of my marthon and the elites were already at passing 21K, sigh.....

Lily on the Road said...

ps, good job on the virtual race, isn't Nancy GREAT?

Vickie said...

Well you did better than I did getting your running in however it worked. Good job on that!

Bev said...

Great job! I wish I could have found the time to get 8 miles in. Way to kick that monsoons rear.

Taunya said...

Hi!

I found your blog through Sonya's. Nice to see someone that runs AND knits, like me. I love how you balance the 2 on your blog!

P.S. You'll love the Clapotis, I made one a few months ago, and I'm dying to do another one.

K @ Running Through Life said...

Great job on the 8 miles! You will love Nike. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Yes there are hills, but for me at least, the support along the way made them do-able!
(www.icanbearunner.blogspot.com)

Becca said...

Awesome job! I hate hills, so you get extra kudos for tackling those! :-)

Miss Feisty said...

Seriously, everytime I read your blog, I respect and idolize you more & more! I am so proud of you!!

Keep it up supergirl!

Miss Feisty said...

I just realized I commented under my other blog (babymakin101) :)

Oh and I tagged you on my blog! :)

Erin Leigh said...

Great job with the runs!! Especially with those conditions.

Southbaygirl said...

Great job on the runs! Way to go especially in the crappy weather! I'd probably wimp out!!!

RunningNan said...

I'll be going for 8 on the 16th... only 8 days late!

K @ Running Through Life said...

I nominated you for a blogging award since I love reading about your running progress! Check my blog for the details!

--KK

Jenny said...

Good job on your race! Sorry I've seemed to have fallen off the face of the planet :( Again. Ah well. :) YAY for clapotis - I have made 2 of them in the past few years - always gifts of course - sigh - someday I'll make one for me ;) Pics please!

Mary Gee said...

Congrats on your race!

BOBBI McCORMICK said...

I hear you on the hills there no fun but great for my butt:)