Mar 23, 2008

This is why they call it the Valley of the Sun...

Last week was another busy week for me at work, so both my knitting time and blogging time were limited. But I did keep up with my running, and running came in handy for all those times I felt like throwing the laptop out the window.


One thing I did learn this week from my runs is that I really need to start getting up VERY early if I want to keep running outside this summer. Today I was up and out the door at 9 AM, and it was already 65 degrees in the shade. I guess it's time to start getting used to running in the Arizona heat.





I did knit myself a little something the other night as we were watching Rendition (which by the way was a very good movie). Check out my Wee Tiny Sock - isn't it the best keychain you've ever seen? It's the quickest knit and a great way to get rid of all that leftover sock yarn.




I also got my swap package from WorkBasket. We signed up for the birthday swap on Ravelry, and even though our birthdays aren't for another couple of weeks, she sent her package early, and of course I couldn't wait to open it. She sent all kinds of goodies: Malabrigo Lace, Tofutsies sock yarn, a nail file with a picture of sheep on it, a tape measure, and not one but two bars of yummy Ghirardelli dark chocolate. Thanks so much Lucy!



Boot camp starts again tomorrow and the plan is to continue to workout and/or run 5 or 6 times each week. I'm still thinking about which half marathon I want to run before the end of the year. It will be my first half, so I'm looking for a somewhat easy course. Any suggestions?

Hope everyone has a great week!

15 comments:

Susan said...

Running AND knitting? You are one talented soul! Nice blog. Thanks for the shout of encouragement.

Southbaygirl said...

I so know how you feel about the weather! Today was the hottest day of the year. I just can never get used to the heat! And Arizona must be way worse in the summer! You and I will have to make a pact that we get up at some ungodly hour to get our runs in before the heat because i still feel like crap!!!!

I saw Rendition-I really enjoyed it!

As for a half marathon...hmmm...there is always the San Fran half in August-I'm thinking of doing that,Eugene may 4th,June 22 Vancouver Half,Big Sur Half in October I think.....

AnnaBanana said...

I've actually been missing my dreaded 6am Saturdays long runs!! Crazy, huh? My 1/2 marathon training group doesn't start until the end of May & I've been a slacker and not doing long runs solo. Which I should be doing now since temps in Houston are great.

I'm probably going to do a Boot Camp that starts in mid-April. I've been wanting to do one for a while, but most are early AM & I don't think I'd go. I finally found an after-work one.
Do you like yours?

I'm doing the San Antonio Rock & Roll 1/2 marathon in mid November. If you want to come all the way out to Texas and do it, you can shack up in my hotel room (The Menger). This is the 1st year it's a R&R, so it should be great!

Nat said...

I find the running really helps in stressful times as well.

Unfortunately we still have a good two or three feet (yes feet) of snow on the ground. So it's going to be at least a few weeks before I start complaining about hte heat. ;)

Nat

Brianna said...

It is hard to get up and get going early in the mornings, but if you can do it, the rewards of a good run and a day wide open and waiting for you are WELL worth it! I wish I could do the early run thing, but that would mean getting out around 5:30 and that is much earlier than I like to experience. It is night running for me these days!

Jenny said...

Cute keychain :) I am not a morning runner, well, not early early morning anyway. I wish you good luck as the temperature rises in AZ!

J~Mom said...

That is an adorable key chain!! It was last fall that I started letting Karen and Pat talk me into getting up crazy early for our runs. There was no way around it though and now I am used to it.

Unknown said...

For some reason I find it easier to run in the mornings... maybe it's because I'm still half asleep so I can go furthar or faster without really noticing:)

I'm trying to train for a half marathon, too. Right now I'm trying to change it up as much as possible; doing longer runs and shorter sprinting as well as other forms of cardio (like belly dancing!) as a way to sort of cross train. Let me know if you have any tips for training!

carla said...

that wee tiny sock is HILARIOUS!
love.

etsy?

MizFit

Viv said...

That is a super cute sock keychain! What a way to showcase your talent on a keychaing :-)
I am scared of running in the heat. LOL@ throuwing your laptop out the window, that sounds like a really familiar feeling to me. good luck up on getting up early that is half the battle.

Myridian said...

That sock is soo cute. I just added it to my queue.

Good for you for staying consistent with the running. You are a rock star for working out despite everything you've got going on. Let's enjoy running in the springtime while it's still here.

Marcy said...

What I would give for some hot weather right about now LOL! Wanna trade places?

Thanks for stopping by ;-)

Unknown said...

Wow you are doing a lot! Holy moly! Good job!

Southbaygirl said...

I will always aspirate a blister from now on! It has healed faster than if I did nothing! And the fact that it was infected has made the healing unbelievable!!!!

Sorry I could have emailed but dashing out for a quick run!

Gena said...

I have one of those wee sock key chains, but have yet to knit it a wee sock! Maybe I will, and I'll use it for my spare keys that I carry when I run!