Sep 30, 2008

In the Zones...

My lack of recent blogging has been because I am currently in two zones.  First, the taper zone.  Yes, the big race, my first half marathon,  is almost here and I'm finally tapering.  I had some problems with my knee last week, (I'm pretty sure it's my IT band) and so I cut a couple of runs short and have been resting, icing, and foam rolling.  No one told me that foam rolling would be so painful that it would bring tears to my eyes.   The knee is doing much better now.  Big thank you to my Surf City pals for their words of wisdom on the knee.  ;)

 

The other zone I am in is the Twilight Zone.  No, not like the movie.  As in the Twilight Series by Stephanie Meyer.  I have to admit that almost ALL of my free time lately has been spent reading this series.   I finished the first book, Twilight, in four days, and I'm now halfway through the 2nd book, New Moon.  Both Jess and Jenny both said that once I started reading the series, I wouldn't be able to put it down until I read all four books.  Well, they were right.  I've already ordered books three and four and they will be here by the end of the week. 

Twilight is about Bella, a typical high school student, who moves to Washington to live with her dad.  As the story progresses, she must adapt to a new life -living with her dad, a new school, new friends, and a new boyfriend - Edward.  Oh, and Edward also happens to be a vampire.  That's where the story gets really interesting.  

I was impressed at the maturity of Bella.  I think I also enjoyed this book because like Bella, I had to move to a new town and a new school for my last year of high school.   I loved that this book had a little bit of everything in it - humor, romance, and mystery.  It's been a really long time since such a book or a series has drawn me in like this one.   Though it's marketed as a book for young adults, I think this story would appeal to all readers. 

I will post more about New Moon when I'm done with it - probably at the end of this week.

Have you read the Twilight series?  Without posting any spoilers, what did you think about it?

Hope everyone has a great week!

48 comments:

Aka Alice said...

I am so afraid to start reading those books...I'll get sucked into them, I just know it and I really don't have the time...

Waiting for winter break...

Hooray for the taper!

american girl said...

I'm totally in the Twilight zone as well. I just finished the first book and I'm borrowing the second and third from a lady at work. I'm not sure what I think about it overall but it's really entertaining and sort of engrossing. I've read better books but for some reason, I have to read these ones like...now. All of them.

Laura said...

I am about 1/3 of the way through the final book. I don't want it to end!!

Carly said...

I will have to check those books out. I depend on Blogland to keep me informed on what books are must reads.

Ouch to the IT band. I am glad the foam roller worked for the knee.

J said...

I have read the first one, and I have the second one sitting on my floor at home waiting to be read but while i was waiting for the 2nd book to come i started reading another book and now i am trying to finish that one so i can start the 2nd twilight book. (that was a very long sentence)!

teacherwoman said...

What a better way to take advantage of a good taper than with a good book series! Enjoy!

Melody said...

I am trying to read New Moon as slow as I possible can to streeeeeeeeetch it out. I don't want it to end... EVER! yes, I admit it .. I am in love with a fictional vampire :)

joyRuN said...

LOL! I haven't read those, but someone was reading the last book at work the other night. She was so engrossed she couldn't even look up when we called her name!

Must be a good read :)

Jess said...

Told ya so. I read the first three in about a week, and I even remember at the time that I contemplated calling in sick for work one day so I could finish one of them.

There are aspects of all 4 that I have some criticism of, but on the whole, it's a great story.

Check out her other book too, The Host. Not part of the series, but still worth reading.

Unknown said...

Sorry about your knee. Yes, the foam roller is PAINFUL when you need it most. I suggest that you keep using it even after the pain is gone...preventative stuff.

Michellefinaz said...

Lately, I'm only good at audio books and I'm #23 on the waiting list for the first book through the library. Hopefully just another two weeks and I'll start on this journey.

audgepodge said...

I'm going to start reading Twilight during my flight home next week. (I fall asleep when I read at home) I'll let you know what I think!

QueenMeadow said...

I read all 4 books in 5 days, not recommended if you want your house to be clean, kids fed, and homework done, lol.

I enjoyed the series, it's definitely a young adult series. Not that that makes it bad or anything, but I think you'll see what I mean when you finish :).

Unknown said...

Glad that your knee is feeling better! That's an unfortunate mishap right before your race.

Books are fantastic.

Anonymous said...

The foam roller is SO painful! Yes. Why does no one ever tell you this? I'm glad it seems to be helping though. And no I've not read any of the Twilight books yet...

Viv said...

I am glad the rollering and rest is helping. Taper is also known for bringing it out pains that stayed at bay during hard training. Listen to me all quoting running mags. Better than quoting the other mags I read. I kid, I joke.

Aron said...

glad your ITB is feeling better! sounds like it hit both of us at the same time :) take care of it the next couple weeks so it doesn't flare up on those downhills in SF! getting so close!!!! yayyyyyyyyyyyy!

Felice Devine said...

Glad the roller is helping your ITB. Good luck with your taper AND the race!

Anonymous said...

LOVED book one and two. Three was okay and four isn't worth the paper it was printed on. :(

Sorry about your knee. Double :(

Mistyfied said...

Good Luck on your half marathon.

Erika said...

Glad the roller is working for you. Those things scare me.

I've finished the first three books and the last one is currently on the hold shelf at the library for me. Must remember to pick it up. I've liked the books, but I have a hard time putting them down, so I have to be careful about when I read them.

MCM Mama

Jenny said...

I knew it :) I cried when I read the last page of the series. And then I started them again. It's so true though - I haven't been sucked into a series like this in YEARS. I think Harry potter was the last one, but nothing to this extent of obsession. hehe. It's such a good story :) We'll have to have a virtual movie date when it comes out hehe

Vickie said...

Good luck with your taper. ITB can be one of the most painful injuries you can have. Keep rolling, stretching, icing, or whatever it takes. It will clear up, but the sooner you get on top of it, the better. The books sound very interesting!

Marci said...

Glad your back! Good luck with your taper. Which half marathon are you running?
Sounds like a great book, I need to read more.

Shana said...

I've never used a foam roller. I didn't know they were so painful.

I clicked through from J. Kaye's Book Blog.

I'm looking at your blogroll and thinking I could get into trouble if I start reading running blogs in addition to book blogs :)

Good luck with the half.

Shana
Literarily

kate said...

OMG, I LOVE those books. I read for an entire weekend over the summer and read books one and two in only 3 days! Then, I had to get the third book. Read it in two days. It was torture waiting for the fourth book to come out. I ran and got it on its release date. I have since gotten at least three more people hooked. I'm so glad that you're enjoying the books!

Steve Stenzel said...

Enjoy the taper!!

Suzanne said...

Good luck on your first half! I'm running my first half on the 19th, a week after my next 15k...

Bev said...

Go get that half! And this sounds weird, but hope the undies work out. Ha Ha!

Pokey said...

I looked at *Twilight* at Barnes & Noble after your last post. I had no idea it was a vampire story! I decided that I probably couldnt really get into that, but I may be wrong?? I'm just a fussy reader so I put it back and opted for something else ;)

I'm curious to hear about it second hand though!

Hope your knee is doing better. Not much longer now!!!! WOO HOO!!!!

Karen said...

I keep hearing about the Twilight series but haven't read them myself yet.

Glad your knee is doing better! That is so wonderful you are running a half!

Tina Mickelson said...

I picked up Twilight at Target the other day (left there at 9:30am) and with a little bit of neglect for my children, there was no harm done just not the great dinner I had planned in my head and actually letting them play playstation on a school night after homework, I read the whole darn thing by 10:30pm. Now I'm frantic to find #2. Thought I'd wait til the hubby was in CO though so I wouldn't feel guilty ignoring him too. lol

Yeah! for tapering. Yes I feel your pain, literally. I have a love hate relationship with my foam roller but I am dedicated and commited to staying healthy so my relationship with it continues.

Sonia said...

Hope your IT band is a bit better by now.

I would love to read more but since I finished university I just have no desire to crack the books open... =( I did too much for the past 8 years.

Happy reading!

C said...

So glad your knee is doing better. Maybe I should try the foam roller thing one of these days. Not that it sounds all that pleasant.

I miss reading for fun. :(

Nitmos said...

I'm also in taper zone. Enjoy your first half marathon. Looks like you've banked lots of solid training.

Kristin said...

I have bought the first book in the series because a friend who is perfectly normal but shared my obsession with the Harry Potter books said she was totally hooked on them--so it sounded like something I should look into! I haven't started yet because there are so many other books I have been reading. But based on the comments here, it looks like I am in for a treat!

I'm really writing, though, to wish you the best of luck and a great run for your half marathon!

renae said...

Yay!! I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I just started the second book today...I loved the first and am assuming I'll feel the same way about this one.

brendaj said...

I just got a gift cert to a bookstore, so I might have to check those out.

K @ Running Through Life said...

Woohoo! The race is just around the corner! Tomorrow is my last long training run and then I will be running 5-6 mile runs until the 19th!
I hope your knee gets better!

J~Mom said...

Oohh how I hate the foam roller!!!! Feel better soon!

Mary Gee said...

I have never tried the foam roller - and I have never even heard of Twilight. Eeek.

Becca said...

Sorry to hear about your knee. I hope it's feeling better! Only two more weeks, right?!

Also, those books are everywhere. I still haven't picked them up because I know I won't be able to stop reading until I've finished every last page.

Brianna said...

Isn't it great when you find books that are so wonderful that you can't put them down??? LOVE that!!

Glad to know your knee is doing better. How's the taper going?

Happy reading & running!

Maryland Girl aka Michelle said...

Good Luck on your up coming run!

Vickie said...

Good luck in your race!!!!!

Anonymous said...

i found your blog through my friend Aron :) I'm doing NIKE this weekend as well! Good luck!! oh and I love, love that series! I read the books in about 3 days each...SO good! :)

Brianna said...

Am I missing something? Where's my Running Knitter?!

Taunya said...

Good luck on your 1/2! It's cool that so many bloggers are gonna be there.

I might have to check out those books...I'm due for a good 'yarn'

:)